What is defensible space?
If your home is threatened by wildfire
- Remove all light draperies from the windows.
- Close all heavy draperies.
- Turn off the gas outside, at the propane tank or the main valve.
- Leave on the electricity.
- Keep an outside light on so firefighters can identify your house.
- Close all doors but leave the house unlocked.
- Leave a garden hose hooked up and in plain sight.
- Put a ladder up to the roof on the side of the house away from the fire.
- Remove all woodpiles from next to the house a scatter them indiscriminately out in the yard.
- Move flammable furniture away from the structure.
- Evacuate your home when asked to do so by firefighters or law enforcement officials.
- Don't forget your pets.