Hidden Hazards

The Most Painful Burn Is The One You Could Have Prevented!
Among the hidden hazards in your home, there are two especially harmful to children: flammable liquids, like gasoline and paint thinner. The other is ordinary household tap water, that’s too hot for a child’s skin.

Protecting your loved ones from flammable liquids and extremely hot water should come down to common sense. But with so many accidents, injuries and deaths every year, it’s easy to see that common sense is sometimes overlooked.

It’s not hard to figure out why, either. As parents, we become preoccupied or distracted in going about our daily lives, and that’s where the problems lie. All it takes is a split second, to change the course of your life.

Spend a few minutes to read this page, to protect your family from hidden hazards in your home. Gasoline Is A Motor Fuel. That is the only thing gasoline is for: to power a motor. It’s not a solvent, not a cleaning fluid, and should never be used that way. NEVER.

Gasoline Is A Highly Flammable Liquid!!
Dangerous flammable vapors are released in your home or garage every time there is a spill, or when the container of gasoline or other flammable liquid is not properly sealed. The silent, invisible vapors can travel, and if these vapors reach a source of ignition, like a faulty electric outlet, the spark from a running motor, or the pilot light of a home appliance, the vapors can ignite…and blow you clean out of the house.

Are These Products Around Your Home?
• GASOLINE • propane gas • kerosene • lighting liquids • cleaning liquids • oil-based paints • fertilizers • mineral spirits • nail polish remover • furniture polish • floor polish • disinfectant • pesticides • weed killers • turpentine • hair spray • adhesives (glue)

Gasoline should always, ALWAYS, be tightly sealed in an approved container, kept out of the house and out of the reach of children. Seal both the spout on the container and the vent.

Keep Gasoline Tightly Sealed And Out Of The House, Or Your Whole Life Can Change In A Flash!
Keep gasoline away from ignition sources, in a detached garage or shed, keep it tightly sealed and away from children.

Because what you can’t see can kill you.
More Than 4,000 Children Are Scalded By Tap Water Every Year!

Scald burns are most common among young children. And yet, these accidents are so easy to prevent if you’ll follow these simple steps.

1. Before putting your child in the bath tub, test the water by moving your hand around in the water to make sure it’s not too hot.

2. Never leave your child alone, not even for a second. If you need to answer your phone or doorbell, take your child with you.

Remember, tap water scald burns can be as serious as burns from hot liquid spills from a stove top. And tap water burns usually cover a larger area of the body.

It Only Takes A Second To Turn A Happy Bath Time Into A Lifetime of Pain.
Make sure your water heater is set no higher than 120 degrees. Use a cooking thermometer to check the water temperature in your bath tub. If it’s hotter than 120 degrees, turn down your water heater, or call a plumbing contractor to turn it down. If you live in an apartment building, have the building superintendent check it for you.

Water doesn’t have to be at the boiling point to harm a child. Infants are plump and cuddly, and their tender skin is a lot thinner than a grownup’s, and can be scalded more quickly. So-protect your loved ones. Use common sense when dealing with flammable liquids and scalding hot water. Be safe-not sorry!

Be wise because it can save lives!